Today, thermal insulation materials are produced so much that the eyes are scattered. Some of them operate for a long time, others do not. They differ from each other in technical parameters and structure. Together with the most modern heaters, they are made of artificial substances. On their background, the ecologist is especially different, his technical characteristics determine the natural origin of the material. It includes only fibrous pulp pulp and natural antiseptics with retardants – otherwise, wood and minerals. In addition, ecovool does not have a porous structure, like other thermal insulators, but capillary.
- 1 What is ecovool: initial components and applications
- 2 Ecovool: Technical specifications
- 2.1 Material properties as a thermal insulator
- 2.2 Noise protection
- 2.3 Video: Sound testing
- 2.4 Environmental compatibility
- 2.5 Water resistance
- 2.6 Video: Fire resistance of eco-wool
- 2.7 Density
- 2.8 Ability to pass air
- 2.9 Moisture resistance
- 2.10 Resistance to harmful substances and destructive factors
- 2.11 Service life
- 2.12 Adhesive properties
What is ecovool: initial components and applications
Several types of raw materials are used for the production of ecologists.
- Production of waste paper and cardboard. This, in particular, can be:
- Records in the manufacture of cardboard corrugated products.
- A wedding that remains after the printing of books and magazines.
- Waste from the production of raw materials from cardboard, as well as defective parts from cardboard.
- Old newspapers and magazines, books, paper, cardboard. Such raw materials are considered second-class because they are more polluted. In addition, recycled paper is very heterogeneous – it can contain different types of paper.
80% of the equulum volume is occupied by cellulose fibers made from recycled materials. Another 12 percent belong to boric acid, a natural antiseptic. This substance is designed to protect the heater from bacteria and fungi. The remaining 8% is the fraction of retardant sodium tetraborate. Not only does it increase the resistance of the material to fire, but it also adds insecticidal properties. When the fiber is coated, the equoli become sticky. This is because of the lignin contained in them.
As an insulation, ecovools are often used today. It is used for thermal insulation of industrial premises, offices, warehouses, shopping pavilions, as well as residential buildings. It is very practical to insulate with this material those rooms where the danger of condensation is constantly humid and excellent.
Thermal insulation with the help of ecologists can be done in three ways:
- Dry method application – basically applied in cottages. So warm attic spaces, interior roof walls, floors and walls with a floor. For this purpose, special equipment is used that feeds the material through the hose and the master gently pours it on the floor. If it is necessary to fill the inside of the wall with a heater or a sloping ceiling, then use the hose again, lightly filling the existing grooves.
- The wet method is used when it is necessary to additionally insulate an insulated wall. Water is added to the starting material. The mixture, when dried, forms a sufficiently thick layer.
- The adhesive method is used in case it is necessary to insulate metal or reinforced concrete structures. For example, insulate the ceilings and walls of the hangar. The adhesive properties of the adhesive mixture are very good, so that the coating adheres perfectly to the surface. It turns out that it is solid, it is not needed on the outside.
Ecovool: Technical specifications
Material properties as a thermal insulator
The heat of the ecologist is very good. This can be estimated by the value of the coefficient of thermal conductivity – in the range from 0.032 to 0.041 watts per meter per degree Celsius. In addition, due to the absence of seams, “cold bridges” do not appear on the coating. Ecovool can fill all, even the smallest, cracks and gaps, which distinguishes it from other thermal insulators.
Surfaces of any type can be covered, covered or tiled with cellulose-based insulation. The monolithic eco-wool coating, despite its light weight, has excellent thermal insulation. And this happens for the following reasons:
- The heater consists of natural wood fibers.
- The fibers have a capillary structure, so they can retain air.
- Most of the volume of the material (from 85 to 92 percent) is occupied by an air layer that perfectly retains heat.
- When insulated, all holes, seams and cracks are completely filled.
And here are the characteristics of ecologists at best. It absorbs external sounds “with a bang” – this has been tested several times by experience. Let’s give an example: by installing Ecovool with a layer of ten centimeters, you can reduce the noise level by 60 decibels.
As you know, sound waves pass through gaps, joints in walls, ceilings and floors, as well as cracks and gaps. Since the fibers of the equulum are able to densely seal these very cracks, the sound eventually encounters an irreparable obstacle. Therefore, if there is a noisy institution in a residential building on the first floor, it is possible to take eco-wool. It will not provide music from a nightclub or karaoke bar to disturb the peaceful sleep of the residents of the house.
Video: Sound testing
There is a lot of talk now about ecology and the creation of such materials that will not harm wildlife. Of course, they should not endanger human life and health.
As already mentioned, the basis of ecovool is high-quality cellulose fibers, impregnated with antiseptic and refractory substances. These substances – boric acid and borac – in it no more than 19 percent. Well, the remaining 81 percent is recycled newspapers, cardboard, books and other waste paper. Otherwise, glossy paper, which has a plastic composition, is not suitable for the production of equivalents. This, for example, covers laminated books, as well as glossy paper with a layer of wax or polyethylene.
It should be noted that the raw materials are clean – paper for the production of fibers does not contain harmful impurities, and additives in the form of retardant and antiseptic are not harmful. Thus, we can conclude that this insulation is environmentally friendly. There can be no danger to life and health in the packaging or in the work of insulated buildings.
Retardants that increase the fire safety equivalents are salts of boric acid. They do not allow the heater to ignite the fire from an open fire – in the fire of the equol not only does not burn, but does not melt. According to GOST 30244, the flammability group G2 (so-called moderately flammable materials) is assigned, and according to DIN 4102 – B1. If you remove the fire source, then the insulation will come out on its own without poisoning the air with poisonous gases.
The principle of the retardant is the following: they enable the organization of the combustion process with minimal flammable substances. Only carbon is released which does not cause damage.
The composition of substrate additives is such that, when heated, water from the ecologist comes out of them. It cools down and the fire cannot continue on its way without access to oxygen. So, there is only a slow decay, which stops when the temperature decreases. Toxic gases are absent.
Video: Fire resistance of eco-wool
In the production process, paper eco-wool is made of very thin fibers, and the material is thick enough, able to retain air well. However, a fixed air layer is one of the best thermal insulators. The layer of insulating coating made of ecosum can be more or less dense – it all depends on the way it is applied.
- When the lower floors are insulated, the density of the material varies from 35 to 42 kilograms per cubic meter.
- Heating inclined surfaces, receive a coating with a density of 45 to 55 kilograms per cubic meter.
- On vertical walls and partitions, the density of the thermal layer lies in the range of 55 to 65 kilograms per cubic meter.
- When applying the wet method of equol, a coating with a density of 65 to 75 kilograms per cubic meter was obtained.
Ability to pass air
Since the density of the eco-shirt is high, and its fibers are thin, the air passes through it poorly. Taking heaters of this type with a density of 35 to 42 kilograms per cubic meter, we get air permeability from 75×10 -6th cubic meters per meter per second on Pascal to 120×10 -6th cubic meters per meter per second on Pascal.
Since cellulose fibers are made of wood, they can, like other wood materials, absorb water and then take it away. So we can say that this heater “breathes” like a log or a bar.
And the change in humidity does not in any way reduce the preservation of eco-wool heat. After all, it can absorb water 5 or even 6 times more than it weighs. Therefore, no moisture droplets enter the house and condensation does not occur.
When the street becomes dry, excess moisture (which can absorb up to 30 percent of the mass) easily leaves insulation. After this asset, the equivalents remain the same. It should be noted that the humidity of this material, like wood, corresponds to the humidity around it. As for vapor permeability, its value lies in the range of 0.3 to 0.54 milligrams per meter per hour for Pascal.
Resistance to harmful substances and destructive factors
Speaking about the advantages of ecovool, it is not unnecessary to mention that it perfectly protects a person from dangerous substances emitted from asbestos, fiberglass, foam and other modern materials. In addition, ecovool itself does not contain any harmful impurities, not isolating them in the process of exploitation. In addition, thanks to boron minerals, the metal layer with equoulor does not rust in a humid environment. After all, the pH-factor of the aqueous solution of these minerals is 9, and after interaction with other components, it becomes close to 8. This means that the alkaline component prevails and metal corrosion does not occur. Minvata, by the way, does not give such an effect.
After some time, the properties of the equulum remain absolutely unchanged. Manufacturers specify their shelf life of at least one century. English, German and American experts have already proven this with experience. After all, cellulose fibers have been isolated at home since ancient times. There are examples of buildings insulated with this material as early as 1900. They stand to this day, perfectly retaining heat. As for domestic research, they can still talk about the fifteen-year life of this material.
Cellulose fibers, light and coarse, hold any material perfectly.
But not everything is so good in the field of ecologists and it, like other heaters that we discussed earlier, has its drawbacks, which we have dedicated to a special article: Ecovool – disadvantages and advantages of heaters.