Two-dimensional materials have become very popular lately due to their wide range of work. Without a doubt, graphene is one of the most popular materials . The reason for this popularity of graphene is that it has strong, flexible, electrical and thermal conductivity properties. This success achieved from graphene has prompted scientists to find more different and alternative materials . With the synthesis of borofen by scientists in 2015, we can say that the papers were distributed again. So what is borofen ? Let’s talk about that a little bit.
What is Borofen?
When we examine the structure of borofen , we can see that it consists of boron atoms arranged in a single layer hexagonal structure . As a result of some studies, it has been observed that borofen has different atomic sequences and different phases rather than a fixed arrangement. Besides, borofen exhibits different characteristics . When we ask the reason for this, we learn that it has a hollow structure and depends on the positioning and quantity of these spaces. These different characteristics have enabled borofen to appear in many different application areas by making various modifications in its crystal structure. It was first synthesized in 2015. It has achieved this with the molecular beam overlay method. In recent years, single layer borophene can be synthesized in studies using chemical vapor deposition and MBE methods, whereas other methods have not been successful.
What is the MBE Method?
MBE method , pipes of high purity, with the help of electron-beam evaporator surface cleaned soil material is called upon evaporation under high vacuum process. The litter used in this production method and its temperature are among the important factors that determine the structure of the borofen to be obtained .
Borofen Usage Areas
Although the work is not very old, there has already been significant progress.
- Batteries (preferred in this area due to its lightness feature)
- Flexible electronics, supercapacitors ( used because of its high flexibility )
- Electronic and optical circuits used in biomedical devices
- Temperature management systems, new generation wearables
- Quantum computers (used because of their light weight and small footprint)
- In nanocomposite materials
- Space applications (used due to its high flexibility)
The flexibility of the material progresses in inverse proportion to its strength. Therefore, while I say that borofen is a very flexible material , I cannot go without saying that its strength is also an ideal value . The ideal flexibility and ideal strength of a material allows that material to stand out from other materials.
Potential Uses of Borofen
- It can be used as reinforcement material in polymer and ceramic matrix composites . (It can offer some improvements by closing the lack of flexibility of the ceramic material)
- It can be used as an additive material in conductive polymers in applications for electromagnetic interference shielding (It provides this with its superconducting feature)
- In areas where ceramic matrix composites are used. It can make improvements for many different sectors, especially defense, aviation and space.
- It can be used in Li-ion batteries to be used in space applications (when used as an anode in the battery cell, it can store up to 5 times higher energy than the commonly used graphite)
The thermal conductivity value of borofen is much lower than that of graphene. Thanks to this characteristic feature, it makes it possible to use it in applications where controllability of thermal energy is desired. It is worth mentioning that the research has reached a certain point, but the desired progress has not been made exactly. But it shouldn’t be hard to make a small guess. It is obvious that borofen will be used as a reinforcement material in a wide variety of composite materials in the future, since it has features such as high strength, high flexibility and lightness, and it will fill the deficiencies of composite materials. As can be seen in the picture below, borofen is more than a fixed arrangement. Having different atomic configurations and different phases can be regarded as its biggest advantage.
Borofen ; Due to its lightness, flexibility, high strength, ability to store energy efficiently, superconductivity and small footprint, it seems that borofen will be mentioned much more in the world of materials science in the coming years. Is the future of humanity in space? These days, thanks to its lightness, superconductivity and high energy storage properties, the fact that it can be evaluated as a catalyst in Li-ion, lithium sulfur batteries , supercapacitors and metal air batteries can present borofen as an innovative solution in space applications. Another area of use of borofen, which we will seek help more often in the future, is in polymer and ceramic matrix compositesuse as reinforcement material . In this area, the flexibility and strength properties of borofen will be used. Borofan for the future so hopeful that, we can also mention the same hope for Turkey? Turkey , the world boron around the reserve to 73% has. In this context, the processing of existing boron and making it available in all areas of technology enables us to look to the future with hope by evaluating the country’s reserve and its possibility to come to the fore in the world.